Friday, February 19, 2010

Record of the week: inBOIL

texting

Netflix

abortion

Reno 911

car accidents

alcohol

The Iraq War


Q: What do all of these things have in common?
A: They're all subjects covered on the new inBOIL record

Probably my favorite local release at the moment. I should probably stop listening and save it for my next break up but I'm not sure that I can. Hopefully that event is a long ways off and this record is too dang good.

Simple lyrics, simple song structure, and what sounds like simple recording. You're left with just heart, humor and honesty.


Some sample lyrics from "Axis and Allies:"


You were the bookmark in my book/

You were the lamp on my desk/

I used to read before going to sleep/

But now I'm too depressed


I dunno. I just like it.

And in the vein of great local music: The Brass Kings, No Bird Sing, Lookbook and Kill The Vultures all playing at The Cedar this week. Also really looking forward to El Perro Del Mar/Taken By Trees double bill on Tuesday. "Change of Heart" has been stuck in my head at least once a day since I first heard it, and I can't say I mind at all. Not exactly sure what to make of the video though... so I'll post this one instead.




No comments: