Monday, August 10, 2009

Please Remain Calm

If you haven't heard, Guy Clark is going to be at the Cedar on September 17th. How cool is that. I saw Guy Clark in another life (back when I knew things about music) along with Townes Van Zandt. I should wear this as a badge of my hipness but to be honest I can't remember a thing about it. I've been able to conjure up an image of Guy playing LA Freeway, and I believe that Townes was sort of hunched over (Yeah, I know, that describes all Townes and Guy shows...). I've talked to the guy I went with and have verified that I was there and enjoyed it, but that's all I've got. I'd love to say it changed my life and I never looked at music the same way again, but it was a long time ago and it was the first time I'd seen either one of them. My inability to remember any of this makes me look at myself and wonder why I know that Patti Smith co wrote "Debbie Denise," but I can't remember a gig I attended with Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt performing.

When my eldest was about seven I was looking for songs about trains and found "Texas-1947" on the live CD called Keepers. It's a gem and it sums up what it's like to have your whole world view changed in an instant. My eldest was completely taken by it and still lists Guy as a favorite and listens to the real dramatic stuff like "Desperados Waiting for A Train" and "The Last Gunfighter Ballad." I love the fact that he's a Guy Clark fan and if I can tear him away from whatever console he's in front of, we'll be there and I bet I'll remember this time.

Another Guy Clark classic follows. You guys probably know it, but it never hurts to be reminded.


That's it

No comments: