Friday, January 29, 2010

Concert etiquette

Musically, I'm feeling very scattered this week. So I'll try something a little different and get your opinions on something that has been bothering me.

A conversation that transpired yesterday:

"It's been a while!"
"Yeah! Well, I saw you on Monday. But going to a show doesn't really count as hanging out."

I think what they meant is that we were not able to have any real conversations. But this touches on a question that I spend a lot of time thinking about. As someone who sees as much live music at The Cedar as possible, I've become accustomed to the idea of "the listening room." Basically, wherein the music takes priority over the drinks, the conversation, and (apparently) the company. Am I a bad friend? Socially awkward? Inconsiderate?

Oh dear.

So, what's the deal? Is this acceptable behavior? Do you act this way or have friends who do? Should this be an item on my self-improvement project?



No comments: