Saturday, January 17, 2009

APAP Part Two

The conference started in earnest on Friday (1/9), so after my initial meetings I set out, armed with my Metrocard, with an ambitious showcase plan. My first stop was back at Le Poisson Rouge for a set by jazz violinist Jenny Scheinman, and it was striking to me how similar her music was to some of the obscure British progressive rock I was listening to in the 70's.

Then a quick jaunt to Brooklyn to check out a happening little club in Park Slope called Barbès. This is the club where Slavic Soul Party plays every Tuesday night, just to give you some sense of the high hipness factor. I couldn't stay long (that jaunt to Park Slope takes some time!) but I did catch a bit of The Mande Ambassadors, who have a throwback sound to 60's "Manding" music from Guinea.

Then it was back to Le Poisson Rouge where I bits of sets by new-world singer Morley and a middle eastern peace project called Sulha Peace Project which, musically, just wasn't working for me. No problem, just back on the train to the 92nd Street 'Y' for what became one of the highlights of the conference for me, Karsh Kale. He's a tabla player and producer, and the band he had with him this time included an incredible Indian singer, a beat box-er, and electric guitarist. Karsh mixes traditional Indian sounds with electronics and beats. Very cool. Afterward, Slavic Soul Party closed the night.

On Saturday night I spent the evening at The Mercury Lounge for a showcase from Red Ryder Entertainment's roster, including Daniel Martin Moore, our own Haley Bonar, A Hawk and a Hacksaw, and up & coming beard folk-rockers Great Lake Swimmers. We're hoping to get these guys to The Cedar in April:



By the time these guys came on, the place was packed, largely due to a high-praise spotlight in Time Out New York.

Next post: GlobalFEST at APAP.

No comments: